I loved my Simplicity Shift Dress so much I decided to whip up another shift. I modified this one slightly, I used bias binding rather than neck and armhole facings and opted out of the seam down the front as it irritated me that the pattern didn’t match.
I loved the bow on the other dress I made but I decided to keep this one plain as the pattern of the fabric was so lovely I wanted that to be the main event! Speaking of the fabric, I got this vintage sheet on a shopping trip in Manchester last year and although I can’t remember the cost, I do remember thinking it was a total bargain! I’ve got a load left too which I might knock up into a sweet summery Sorbetto!
I’ve been a bit lazy on the old dressmaking front recently, a few iffy and unfinished projects turned me off it. I missed making my own clothes though so I decided to ease myself into it with a nice easy pattern; Simplicity 1609. I got all my bits and bobs ready and cut out the pieces I needed to make view B of the pattern.
I used a lovely piece of Amy Butler Henna Paisley to make the dress, I figured it would layer up nicely in the cold weather and brighten up dark days but would also make a sweet summer dress.
The pattern came together beautifully and was a dream to make up. The trickiest part was matching up the facing but even then, I just needed a bit of patience.
(The light was going here a bit so the pictures aren’t great).
I managed the whole dress in an afternoon and wore it out to meet friends in Glasgow last night. I got a lot of compliments and will definitely be running up a few more of these staples! Last night I teamed this with a turquoise short sleeved sweater (with the bow popping out at the neck line), turquoise tights and navy blue shoes and bag. I felt very bright!