1970s Crochet Bag

I’ve really enjoyed looking at 1970s crochet patterns. Some are hilarious and some are just gorgeous. I really love accessories and more sedate clothing (count me out of head to toe crochet jumpsuits).

I decided to make a crochet bag out of some aran wool I had recently bought. I’m really loving mustard at the moment so I started with that and made myself a granny square bag. I made a lining from a vintage bedspread I bought years ago.

DSCF1939 DSCF1935

I made 3 strands of chain and slip stitch which were plaited together to make the handle. All in all I’m pleased with my new bag, I may even go as far as to add some tassels to the bottom, or make a second bag with those details. Who knows?!

DSCF1943

Advertisements

Tilly and The Buttons Coco Working Dress

I finally got around to making my first Tilly Coco dress. I bought this pattern ages ago and had put off making it for a few reasons. Firstly, I’ve never sewn with a knit fabric before and to be honest, it scared me a bit. The thought of all that stretchy material getting out of shape and tormenting me was daunting! Secondly, I’ve always had a bit of a nightmare fitting sleeves. I finally bit the bullet and got stated with some black and grey ponti do roma I picked up in the sales. I figured this it would be a good addition to my work wardrobe.

I started out by cutting the pattern out and having a read of Tilly’s instructions. I loved the colour booklet and step by step guide.

image

Once I had my pattern cut, I laid out and cut the fabric. Putting the pattern together was a dream! I loved the instructions and tips throughout. I particularly liked using the ribbon to stay the shoulders. So pretty!

image

My only hiccup was when I accidentally sewed my sleeve on inside out, right as I was congratulating myself for making great progress, pride always comes before a fall!

Anyway, I still managed to get the whole thing done in around 2 hours, including cutting the pattern out and I have a great work dress! I now want to get some brighter fabrics for more fun versions!

image

image

Ready for work!

DIY Yoga Mat

I’ve recently started a new yoga class which doesn’t supply mats so I have to bring my own. The only problem…I don’t have a bag to carry my mat to and from the class. Keeping my new year goals in mind, I decided that rather than go out and buy a bag I would make one.

I had picked up some pretty remnants of fabric last time I was shopping for threads so I decided to use them.

Fabric Remnanats

I measured my mat and sketched out a pattern idea, hoping that it would work! I’ve never really drafted my own pattern before but I figured that this was as good a place to start as any. I wanted a bag which fitted my mat, had a long enough strap that I could wart it as a cross body bag when I cycle and should have an internal pocket to fit my phone and any cash I might need.

I started out by cutting my pattern pieces and ironing interfacing onto the ends and internal pocket to try and ensure that the bag would hold it’s shape a bit and the pocket was stiff enough to hold my bits and pieces. I then sewed the pocket piece to the lining fabric.

wpid-wp-1420994471879.jpeg wpid-wp-1420994465412.jpeg wpid-wp-1420994460280.jpeg

I decided to use the exterior fabric for the pocket to provide a bit of contrast to the inside of the bag.

Once I completed the pocket I joined together all the lining and exterior pieces and attached the zip. Next came lots of swearing and pinning as I tried to attach the ends and handle to the main body of the bag. This is where some more experience in pattern drafting would have come in handy. I realised that I should have changed the shape of my end pieces slightly and the handle could have been attached much more easily. However, I finally managed to finish and I’m really pleased with the outcome. It will be ideal for carting the bits and pieces I need for yoga as well as my mat. Having this nice new bag will encourage me to get out with my yoga mat much more!

wpid-wp-1420994439260.jpeg wpid-wp-1420994442170.jpeg wpid-wp-1420994445496.jpeg

Simplicity Pattern 1609 Shift Dress

I’ve been a bit lazy on the old dressmaking front recently, a few iffy and unfinished projects turned me off it. I missed making my own clothes though so I decided to ease myself into it with a nice easy pattern; Simplicity 1609. I got all my bits and bobs ready and cut out the pieces I needed to make view B of the pattern.

15453690323_006a2fdeec_o

 

I used a lovely piece of Amy Butler Henna Paisley to make the dress, I figured it would layer up nicely in the cold weather and brighten up dark days but would also make a sweet summer dress.

15451045784_93729a2b4e_o

The pattern came together beautifully and was a dream to make up. The trickiest part was matching up the facing but even then, I just needed a bit of patience.

15887263859_ce0bb624a9_o

(The light was going here a bit so the pictures aren’t great).

I managed the whole dress in an afternoon and wore it out to meet friends in Glasgow last night. I got a lot of compliments and will definitely be running up a few more of these staples! Last night I teamed this with a turquoise short sleeved sweater (with the bow popping out at the neck line), turquoise tights and navy blue shoes and bag. I felt very bright!

16072648262_86c61bfecb_o