Bridesmaid Dresses

I’m getting married this year (YAY!). We both decided early on that we weren’t up for spending a load of money on a wedding. To this end, I’m trying to make as many things as I can. I’ve started making decorations (I’ll share these soon!) and I’ve also decided to make bridesmaid dresses for my two bridesmaids. I want them both to feel comfortable on the day but they both have vastly different styles, to address this, I said to both of them that I would pick a fabric and they could select whatever pattern they wanted. This means that they’ll both (hopefully) have a dress they like and I can have them in a matching fabric. I really hope this works! Over the next few months, I’ll keep you updated on how I’m progressing with the dresses.

The girls will be wearing this pretty blue bonded lace:

They can be my “something blue” on the day. Plus, this shade is one of my absolute favourites!

My sister chose this modern pattern:

And my best friend chose this vintage pattern (funnily, they both selected Butterick)

I’ve measured up my sister and am about to start her toile. Wish me luck, I’ve never made dresses for such and important occasion before, and certainly not for someone else to wear! Yikes!

DIY Yoga Mat

I’ve recently started a new yoga class which doesn’t supply mats so I have to bring my own. The only problem…I don’t have a bag to carry my mat to and from the class. Keeping my new year goals in mind, I decided that rather than go out and buy a bag I would make one.

I had picked up some pretty remnants of fabric last time I was shopping for threads so I decided to use them.

Fabric Remnanats

I measured my mat and sketched out a pattern idea, hoping that it would work! I’ve never really drafted my own pattern before but I figured that this was as good a place to start as any. I wanted a bag which fitted my mat, had a long enough strap that I could wart it as a cross body bag when I cycle and should have an internal pocket to fit my phone and any cash I might need.

I started out by cutting my pattern pieces and ironing interfacing onto the ends and internal pocket to try and ensure that the bag would hold it’s shape a bit and the pocket was stiff enough to hold my bits and pieces. I then sewed the pocket piece to the lining fabric.

wpid-wp-1420994471879.jpeg wpid-wp-1420994465412.jpeg wpid-wp-1420994460280.jpeg

I decided to use the exterior fabric for the pocket to provide a bit of contrast to the inside of the bag.

Once I completed the pocket I joined together all the lining and exterior pieces and attached the zip. Next came lots of swearing and pinning as I tried to attach the ends and handle to the main body of the bag. This is where some more experience in pattern drafting would have come in handy. I realised that I should have changed the shape of my end pieces slightly and the handle could have been attached much more easily. However, I finally managed to finish and I’m really pleased with the outcome. It will be ideal for carting the bits and pieces I need for yoga as well as my mat. Having this nice new bag will encourage me to get out with my yoga mat much more!

wpid-wp-1420994439260.jpeg wpid-wp-1420994442170.jpeg wpid-wp-1420994445496.jpeg