1970s Crochet Bag

I’ve really enjoyed looking at 1970s crochet patterns. Some are hilarious and some are just gorgeous. I really love accessories and more sedate clothing (count me out of head to toe crochet jumpsuits).

I decided to make a crochet bag out of some aran wool I had recently bought. I’m really loving mustard at the moment so I started with that and made myself a granny square bag. I made a lining from a vintage bedspread I bought years ago.

DSCF1939 DSCF1935

I made 3 strands of chain and slip stitch which were plaited together to make the handle. All in all I’m pleased with my new bag, I may even go as far as to add some tassels to the bottom, or make a second bag with those details. Who knows?!

DSCF1943

Vintage Shift Dress

I loved my Simplicity Shift Dress so much I decided to whip up another shift. I modified this one slightly, I used bias binding rather than neck and armhole facings and opted out of the seam down the front as it irritated me that the pattern didn’t match.

16318369475_48278627ed_o

I loved the bow on the other dress I made but I decided to keep this one plain as the pattern of the fabric was so lovely I wanted that to be the main event! Speaking of the fabric, I got this vintage sheet on a shopping trip in Manchester last year and although I can’t remember the cost, I do remember thinking it was a total bargain! I’ve got a load left too which I might knock up into a sweet summery Sorbetto!

15695944714_866014a93e_o 16292428236_e21ea19496_o

Bridesmaid Dresses

I’m getting married this year (YAY!). We both decided early on that we weren’t up for spending a load of money on a wedding. To this end, I’m trying to make as many things as I can. I’ve started making decorations (I’ll share these soon!) and I’ve also decided to make bridesmaid dresses for my two bridesmaids. I want them both to feel comfortable on the day but they both have vastly different styles, to address this, I said to both of them that I would pick a fabric and they could select whatever pattern they wanted. This means that they’ll both (hopefully) have a dress they like and I can have them in a matching fabric. I really hope this works! Over the next few months, I’ll keep you updated on how I’m progressing with the dresses.

The girls will be wearing this pretty blue bonded lace:

They can be my “something blue” on the day. Plus, this shade is one of my absolute favourites!

My sister chose this modern pattern:

And my best friend chose this vintage pattern (funnily, they both selected Butterick)

I’ve measured up my sister and am about to start her toile. Wish me luck, I’ve never made dresses for such and important occasion before, and certainly not for someone else to wear! Yikes!

My First Curtains! Sanderson Dandelion Clocks

I have wanted to know how to make a good set of curtains for a long time and have been planning to teach myself. However, my lovely friend who runs a bespoke soft furnishings store in Edinburgh said that she would teach me. I am so grateful as she has taught me so many skills I would have never learned had I tried to do them myself, including how to properly measure a window!

Once measured up, the fabric was ordered and she taught me about positioning the pattern correctly and ensuring that all of the curtains matched! Luckily, I was allowed to use my friend’s cutting table as I haven’t got a space large enough in my house.

16034265638_5cf711367e_o

After cutting we hemmed the main fabric, turning up a double 3 inch hem and hand stitching it. We then cut the blackout lining machine stitched a double 2 inch hem. I was a bit annoyed about my stitching on this as the machine tension must have been a bit out as the stitches were all different sizes. I didn’t want to unpick it though as it would leave holes in the blackout lining and allow light to seep through. I’ll just have to live with the irritation! Following the hemming, we positioned the blackout lining on the main fabric and folded the sides of the curtains in to cover all raw edges. This was all hand stitched too.

15601921343_8ec936fc63_o

We added the header tape and pressed the final curtains ready to hang in my craft room! I completely loved the process of making these curtains and I’m even happier to see them hung up! I’ve got another set to make for the second window but here we are with the first window!

16034263268_6c7729c517_o 16219904911_55d363aa89_o

Simplicity Pattern 1609 Shift Dress

I’ve been a bit lazy on the old dressmaking front recently, a few iffy and unfinished projects turned me off it. I missed making my own clothes though so I decided to ease myself into it with a nice easy pattern; Simplicity 1609. I got all my bits and bobs ready and cut out the pieces I needed to make view B of the pattern.

15453690323_006a2fdeec_o

 

I used a lovely piece of Amy Butler Henna Paisley to make the dress, I figured it would layer up nicely in the cold weather and brighten up dark days but would also make a sweet summer dress.

15451045784_93729a2b4e_o

The pattern came together beautifully and was a dream to make up. The trickiest part was matching up the facing but even then, I just needed a bit of patience.

15887263859_ce0bb624a9_o

(The light was going here a bit so the pictures aren’t great).

I managed the whole dress in an afternoon and wore it out to meet friends in Glasgow last night. I got a lot of compliments and will definitely be running up a few more of these staples! Last night I teamed this with a turquoise short sleeved sweater (with the bow popping out at the neck line), turquoise tights and navy blue shoes and bag. I felt very bright!

16072648262_86c61bfecb_o